You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: SmartCity

Smart city - Kerala people need to be convinced

First question - Why do we need 400 acres of land? 400 acres is a huge land & especially in state like Kerala where each cent is expensive. Other state can give 10,000 acres at the cost of our 50 acres. Kerala people are not fools , they need to be convinced. I agree Achu is a very old fashioned & may not be Mr Clean. But what he says make sense. Why can't we have our own Smart city and feel proud. There are lot of Kerala people ready to invest. See the Cochin Airport. and today it is running in profit. if there is a will there is a way. If the people are looking for status symbol like lBangalorians, Tamilians & Andhrites, then let them have a trip around these states & then decide who is better...:)
    Dear Thomas,
    Do you think that kerala can devolop such internet city offering by DIC. Defenitely, it may be possible if there is no stinky political parties or political leaders. Kerala is gods own country in paper. I think, kerala is not gods own country, kerala is politicians own country. Congress is destroyed by group politics. Communist is destroyed by anti politicians such as VS, kodiyeri etc. Kerala is ruled by group of stinky corrupted politicians. After 1 year, another group will come and do the "MUDIPIKKAL" for another 5 years. And thereafter......... We need to release our state from these kind of politicians. For that, the youngsters should come to the party leadership.

VS achuthanandan and K.Karunakaran, they are the most -----------in kerala politics. Karunakaran destroyed congress and Antony. When Antony was rulling, he was just behind him. When he rsigned, his son got seat in assembly election. Janangal sharikku koduthu. Aftre that both son and father turned to Ummen Chandy. Now another VS. Did you hear any news from him that he support any devolopment projects of kerala. I am not blaming him because he is only 4th std and gusthi,. We should not expect anything more from him.

Kind Regards,

All agreed Benny, But why DIC need 400 acres. Can't understand and you can never convince me on that as i am working in a 8 acre software park in Bangalore where there are more than 20 companies with 20 k employees. Where is 8 acre & 400 acres . in that case better give the entire cochin to Dubai or give kerala to them. They will make it like Dubai
    Kerala is 100 times better compared to other states in terms of corruption for ur info because we r not that fools..ok

hI,
    ciaL IS a GREAT SUCCESS!!! But Most of the NRKs wont invest in 4 ani of the industries in kerala. Thanks 2 the hartals by cpm,bjp etc and Militant unionism by CITU , AITUC etc.

Kerala is a developed state compared to other states in india. Thanks to the people working outside kerala like u in BLR. GULF, Chennai, Bombay, pune gujarath, delhi etc

corruption! i think its more in kerala than in anywhere in INDIA. take the case check post .........

IN KMML(Kerala minerals and metals ltd) chavara in Kollam, if u wan2 get a post of a peon, u hav2 giv 10k to citu and utuc union leaders there..

But in the case of Traffic pollice, ya they 2 vorz in Bangalore......

Kollam

Dear Thomas,
    As you stated in ur reply, you are working in a 8 acre IT park in banglore and there are 20 it companies in your park. I would like to know, is there any housing sections provided for the company employees? Is there any educational institutions in your park compound? Is there any hospitals in ur park?

DIC is proposing all these kind of facilities in their IT park. That is the reason why asking 400 acres. It is a business trick to attract the foreign companies.

Regards,

The whole point is not how many acres of land, but how much is the commission that Mr. Chandy wants to pocket himself and for his 'Gandhian' party. DIC asked for infopark and Chandy says, take it, but my commission....... This is actually the controversey behind the 'Smart City'. Already there are 12000 positions within the infopark, which makes DIC to pay 11000x60000 Rs back to the government to own the land through back doors.

Joseph

Joseph,
    One thing you have to remember, "MANJAPITHAM PIDICHAVANU ELLAM MANJAYAYITTE THONNU". If opposition has doubt on our CM then why dont they just go for legal actions against CM. No use of just murmering VALAVALA.

Yesterday there was a speech of GREAT achumaman in allepey against "VAYAL NIKATHAL". Do you know somthing about the venue of the meeting? Do you know where KSKTU constructed that auditorium? Athu VAYAL NIKATHI undakkiyatha. What a __________???

One thing again, "SWANTHAM KANNILE KAMBEDUTHITTU VENAM MATTULLAVARUDE KANNILE KARADEDUKKAN".

Benny

Thomas,

Agreed, the place where you work has only 8 acres and 20K employees. In Bangalore, I guess ITPL has about 250 acres of land, but only 12K employees.

Does this mean ITPL is a waste of space?

Hi Joseph,
    You know why Mr. Pinarayi was opposing this in Kerala and after 'SEEING' Dubai, he changed his mind.

Krishna

Joseph, Kunjunju might have or might not have taken money. Unless it is proved we cannot assume things. For any political parties to survive now, irrespective of congress, BJP or Communist, they need money & so kaikooly is a part of it. Cannot be erased in a day. Do you think communict is Mr Clean?

I would like to point one intersting thing which I noticed ,

If you look at communist, the party has approximate Rs 4000 crore asset (they might have got from people & has taken bribes as any other party do). However the internal party corruption is less & with that money they have, they can get into more business like Kairali etc and make more money. In future I see communist party getting more richer by involving in more business..:).. who knows they may have their own SMART CITY..:) anyway... but on other hand Congress who has richer people in the party & not bad in kaikooly vanghikaling does has less money with the party.. Most of the money is with individual like Jacob, Balakrishnan etc and Karunakaran & Murali will be having the heighest...:) This shows how weak the party is. If congress has to come up, they need a major restructuring & good vision. Uman wants to make Kerala like Dubai in a day... good if it happens....& I wish like any other Mallu :). Also with the current situation , communist can be in power for next 10 to 15 yrs like in Bengal, which also is not healthy for the state. Strong opposition is always required for the progress of the state.

Benny, As a individual Uman may be good, however party to survive he has to take bribe or forced to take bribe. So do not think that he also is Mr Clean...:) I am not bothered much (as long as they take 100% of the money & show in Paper that the work has executed like in Bangalore..:) seeing the current political scenario of India.

See, I am not still convinced why we need 400 acres in Cochin to have a Smart city. Our land is costly, which is a great disadvantage in one way. If Benny has 1 acre of land in that, r u ready to give that for 1 lakh & sacrifice. I will not. As you mentioned even 100 acres is more than enough to build shops, schools, hospitals etc.. Leela palace in Blore is in may be 5 acres. Is smart city planning to build hundred of five star hotel, hundred of schools & hundreds of Hospitals. or are they planning for apartments? Someone said it is a trick.. They are fooling us...& we are tricked..:)
    The reason umman has got is athoru Chathuppu nillamanenu... Spend 1 crore in that we can make a fortune... am I right?.. it's all excuses.

Someone mentioned ITPL is 250 acres. I am in Bangalore for past 14 years & the place where ITPL is there did not cost more than Rs 5000 / acre at that time which means 60 lakhs (moreover it was govt land.. so it's free). Even 14 years back will u be able to get land in Kerala for Rs 1 lakh / acre.. u cannot. Cities like Bangalore, Madras & Hyderabad has got an major advantage in land price & also unreacting people.

If the govt has a vision they can make smart kerala. Somebody mentioned Govt do not have money & nobody is interested to invest. That is a negative thinking. Think positive.. even if they have smart city in 200 acres & sell 200 acres they can easily make a capital of 200 crores. With that money & private public investment they can build the smartest city if they want. Mr Kurian did a good job in CIA... there are lot of peoples like him in kerala who can execute & show results in 1 year. Do not degrade ourself that we are not smart & people in Dubai are smart..:). Let us do it ourself.. we make mistakes ...but we learn lot of lessons in that journey. Only thing we need is a visionary..:) to make it happen soon...:)

Also why can't we have the smart city in Munnar (don't worry I am from Cochin only..:)).. good climate etc... is that a problem ? From cochin to Munnar it is only 150 Km. provide good transport & roads. let us make other parts of keral equally good. Why it has to be in Cochin where land is costly. So DIC knows that if they purchase 400 acres of land for 180 + crore rupees, once the port is ready, the value of land will be 3000 crore. in 5 years 20 times the amount profit. Why do we need to give that amount to Dubai. Let us have the money with us & have a better plan. If Kunjunju is having god vision he will not do this.I swear.

Cochin is already conjusted & if it rains it floods etc & also with the Cochin Port it is going to be very crowded. Anyway S/W is not exported in ship..:) The powerful broadband we have, is not difficult to extend to other parts of Kerala. Let other part of kerala also progress that way.

Govt need to have a Vision else whatever smart city they bring will not work or last out I swear . Kunjunju wants to do a lot, but I do think he lacks the vision. If you ask a question, who has a vision.. Well we have to wait. Only time can tell. Since we are strong in education, health , awarness & cleaniness, each individual will make it the best place to live Think positive. be patient... :)

Do not think that I am a Philosopher, I told the fact..:). Have fun enjoy life...:)

Tom

Dear Thomas,

Good, I appreciate your independent thoughts rather than blind believer/Slaves of one party. I just want to put few more thought into that.

Here I am also staying in Bangalore, and we know one big problem in ITPL. Those who are working in ITPL are not staying nearby – the result is heavy traffic jam. We know what happens in Marathahalli junction everyday , If ITPL developed as a township where schools, college, sports ground, hospital, recreation club etc. people can stay there…and need not go out of the campus frequently…

Another thing is Bangalore is already a well known IT destination. No need to tell people to come here…but in kerala we need to start from the scratch…for that, it should project some thing which really attract the IT Company or IT professionals. If someone developed a big building in Munnar, It would be really difficult to attract people

Aslo we must understand the importance of airport in the IT industry…Just look into the airport road in Bangalore and see how many companies are still stick into that road !!!...

If you look at communist, the party has approximate Rs 4000 crore asset (they might have got from people & has taken bribes as any other party do). However the internal party corruption is less & with that money they have, they can get into more business like Kairali etc and make more money. In future I see communist party getting more richer by involving in more business..:)..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Thomas,

This argument goes well with the 'Economic times' when Mr. Chidhambaram took over as 'Yek Dhin ka Sultan'. Mr. Chidhambaram included all the co-operative societies in the name of CPIM to boost his figures. Such an irresponsible man is unfortunately our finance minister at the centre.
    Ofcourse CPIM has a lot of real estate assets in Kerala and throughout India. They collected the money from people, even through 'Bucket Pirivu' and other means and has sound financial audits of their assets. Do you think the right wing A.holes will remain silent if they have something to hide. Mr. Antony(AK-47) tried so much in vain to bringup some allegation on AKG centre at Trivandrum during his regime.

'Kairali' is one of the means before CPIM to get directly involved in the mainstream media. Are you suggesting that CPIM should blindfold its eyes and welcome all the stupid and arrogant comments from the digital and print media like Asia Net and the UDF's MaMa(MAlayala MAnorama?.

Joseph

Dear Joseph,

We need to announce that “Bucket” in the Guinness book – Imagine the size of the bucket, It can collect crores and crores!!!!!!

Asia Net is also a UDF Channel???? …..but Kairali is directly involving in the mainstream media…Just look into the Vineetha ( Who was a slave of local Area committee for years) or Vettinirathal issues reported by kairali. Or just see the great “Sakshi” at kairali at 10PM on Sundays …

Dear Thomas,

I really appreciate you for one of your suggestion which is like Why not Develop other regions instead of giving more concentration to cities like Kochin. This is a good suggestion.

The 'Smart City' like project is better suitable for regions like Central Travancore - which comprises of Alappuzha, Kottayam, Pathanamthitta, and parts of Idukky and Kollam districts. This region have an ample talent pool and the influenc eof anti-Development forces is minimum. Land price is very less comparable to Cochin.

What cities liek Alappuzha, Kottayam, Pathanamthitta, Tiruvalla, Kozhencherry, Chengannur, Aranmula, Mallapally, Ranny, Adoor, Pandalam, Konni, Pathanapuram, Mavelikara, Changanacherry, Palai, Kanjirapally, Chertala, Haripad, Kayankulam, etc need is better infrastrucutre.

Alappuzha port can upgrade to International Level. We can also consider to build anothe rport in Kayankulam.

There were some plan to setup a private Domestic Airport in Aranmula, Pathanamthitta district. But some hardcore Leftists, Trade Unionists, and Environmentalists played some drama and obtaine d astay from High Court.

An Airport in Kottayam is also feasible.

There should be a better Road Network and Flyovers in this region and roads should be on par with International standard.

Metro Railway is viable in Central Travancore region as aprt of infrastrucutre development.

Anothe rimportant thing is the Reforms in private Sector. It is better to privatize Power Sector at least in Central Travancore. We all knows KSEB is a White Elephant. So, for efficient and quality Power, privatization is necessary. Underground Cabling should consider for Power Transmission. This will reduce TDR loss and Power Cost.

Solar Energy is another Energy Source for Central Travancore region.

Telecom sector is better in Central Travancore. But we need Broadband facility on par with Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, etc. Also, all Telecom cable should be Optical Fiber and laid underground.

I am sure, Central Travancore have a potential to become New Silicon Valley of the World.

Kerala government must also concentrate in other ciites like Trivandrum, Kollam, Munnar, Muvattupuzha, Alwaye, Thrissur, Kozhikode, Kalpatta, Kasargod, and Mahe (Mahe can develop as an IT hub. This city is not affected by the Communist Influence of near by Thalasseri, Koothuparamba, and Vadakkara. The governments of Kerala and Pondicherry can co-operate in this regard).

Regards,

Rivaji

Riva,

Please change your profile from IT cell congress president to IT Central Travancore congress President. I think your intention is something else than the development of kerala.

It is unfortunate that the people who exaggerate the value of land resources in Kerala cannot fathom the value of its human resouces and their potential to generate revenue.

>>Ofcourse CPIM has a lot of real estate assets in Kerala and throughout India. They collected the money from people, even through 'Bucket Pirivu' and other means and has sound financial audits of their assets.
    ---

Oh boy!!! I totally underestimated the potential of 'bucket pirivu'. I never realized that 'bucket pirivu' from the 'toiling masses' could generate so many assets in Kerala and all over India.

Probably, Chidambaram could take some tips from Joseph to boost our national assets also through 'bucket pirivu'.

Oh boy!!! I totally underestimated the potential of 'bucket pirivu'. I never realized that 'bucket pirivu' from the 'toiling masses' could generate so many assets in Kerala and all over India.

Probably, Chidambaram could take some tips from Joseph to boost our national assets also through 'bucket pirivu'.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Antony,

When are you going to learn in giving straight answers?.

Joseph

Dear Joseph,

You didn’t get the answer????....if not, we can take it one of the best joke in 2005!!!!!!

According to someone Straight answers means…..Map our Mother, Sister to Smart city and correlate the relationship between DIC or Umman Chandy….really pity on them.

This is an interesting link. Please have alook

http://www.keralakaumudi.com/news/070905M/feature.stm

Thomas,

I was having a chat with a friend and he opined that the media is to blame in Kerala for making us Malayalees the negative-minded people that we are. And the media here includes all, the left, right and centre included.

Did you notice that the Keralakaumudi article is nothing but a commentary on DICs wishlist? And that the article is filled with sarcastic comments?

Yesterday's news reports mention that the MOU has been prepared and sent to DIC for approval. We are in an unfinished MOU stage even now, so how is "Kerala Kaumudi" talking about the "Karaar" (agreement) that is non-existent?

Investors will ask for everything under the moon, especially knowing that Kerala is acting desparate for investment in Hi-tech areas. And in all probability, their wish-list is a reflection of what they already have in DIC. The Government cannot agree to most of it. See how they dodged the Environmental clearance issue. Likewise the screening at Airport, to which the state Government has no say.

IMHO, our sick media should hold back comments till the MOU is done.

We can prosecute Oommen Chandy if he erred. But we need to wait and see how this thing shapes up first. It is not good to abort this foetus because we suspect it may be illicit.

Hi Pappu.
    I totally agree with you. Like othere I too want to see Kerala like singapore & America but in a natural way. We are in country where corrupt politicians cannot be eliminated in a day. That is a reality. You cannot make wonders in a day. Unless we have a dictator with a vision. Are you ready? if Umman is Smart he will get the Smart city. People have got the right to react & to me DIC is not for an IT park primarly. Hey come on what the heck DIC going to do with this much land? R they going to build football grounds. Then Give the entire cochin to them or give the entire Kerala to them. They can easily buy with their oil money. We can have good life, good car everything u want. Are you ready for that. Will you accept it ?

Let us develop by ourself man even if takes time. Yes we may have to go thru hardships, but what we make by ourself last long. We can have better city without the help of DIC. Dubia has become great bcoz they have oil. Yes I totally agree we have an attitude problem. In a democratic country like us we may have to wait for one or 2 generation to change. We are still doing well compared to other states. Our press is really making that change unlike other states where channels are for masala movies & songs. You can never blame press . It has more pros than cons.

Let us concentrate how we can make the Cochin port happen fast which can make Kerala richer. I am not against Smart city, but it has to be a justified else I will react. Let them show the agreement to all Keralites before they sign the MOU. If you want to call me a negative minded you can.

Hi Pappu.
    I totally agree with you. Like othere I too want to see Kerala like singapore & America but in a natural way. We are in country where corrupt politicians cannot be eliminated in a day. That is a reality. You cannot make wonders in a day. Unless we have a dictator with a vision. Are you ready? if Umman is Smart he will get the Smart city. People have got the right to react & to me DIC is not for an IT park primarly. Hey come on what the heck DIC going to do with this much land? R they going to build football grounds. Then Give the entire cochin to them or give the entire Kerala to them. They can easily buy with their oil money. We can have good life, good car everything u want. Are you ready for that. Will you accept it ?

Let us develop by ourself man even if takes time. Yes we may have to go thru hardships, but what we make by ourself last long. We can have better city without the help of DIC. Dubia has become great bcoz they have oil. Yes I totally agree we have an attitude problem. In a democratic country like us we may have to wait for one or 2 generation to change. We are still doing well compared to other states. Our press is really making that change unlike other states where channels are for masala movies & songs. You can never blame press . It has more pros than cons.

Let us concentrate how we can make the Cochin port happen fast which can make Kerala richer. I am not against Smart city, but it has to be a justified else I will react. Let them show the agreement to all Keralites before they sign the MOU. If you want to call me a negative minded you can.

Thomas,

YOU: Why do they need that much land?
    I: OK. I posted another link where US Soft will be given 36 acres of land and will generate an employment of 3000. Roughly, 100 jobs per acres. Again, it makes no sense to assign an acre of land to x number of jobs. I was just trying to compare proposed land for Smart city to proposed land for US Soft.

In a simple sense, I guess all these guys want to build their campus, layout style, not apartment style. You can undestand that logic, because you live in Bangalore : )))

YOU: Lets build everything ourselves?

I: Why that obsession? Let us build what we can, and let us take help from wherever available. It is no use fencing ourselves in, while the norm is globalization.

You: Attitude will change in two generations?

I: You bet. The rest of India has already changed for good! Only we (Kerala) is becoming more stubborn by the day. Show me one sign of change in Kerala. I can show you 10 signs of situation getting even more pathetic.

Cochin port is a good thing. Should we end at that? Shouldn't there be other initiatives. I remember that after the completion of Idukki project, our leaders declared that we don't need anymore power projects and we are a power surplus state. The result? You know very well.

btw, I thinkt he Cochin port has been handed over to the Dubai Port authorities.

>>You: Attitude will change in two generations?
    ---

Even most of the Keralites outside Kerala have changed their attitude.

On the lighter side:
    When I was looking for an alliance, most of the bangalore settled Keralites who were interested, invariably said that they are okay with this alliance provided I can commit that I'll never even think of settling down in Kerala. When I asked for the reason, they said that it is because of the sick attitude of the local Keralites...

Think about it. This was told by MALLUS themselves (NRKs). And the same was told by almost all the NRKs that we considered. (We considered quite a few candidates ;-) )

Pappu,
    Kerala where land cost is high ,400 acres is not justifiable. The office I work in Australia is 80 floor . It is accommodating 5000 staff. A state like Kerala where land is costly let them build 80 floor buildings. build 10 building like that in 10 acres & staff 50000. See you cannot compare land in TN & AP. Their land is damn cheap. If u have 1 acre land in cochin give it for 1 lakh I will give job to 1000 people. can u ? See we have a disadvantage on that. U say we are lagging behind other states. I have worked in many parts of India. You have to go outside the cities to see the real face of India. We have to grow & we are growing , but that does not mean we have to accept what others say. What I am doing is just reacting & putting my opinion. I respect uir opinion. If no one reacts like in other states the govt will agree what they say. I will not allow. I have to be justified & I am not yet. Dubia internet city is in only 50 acres what I heard. You do not need 400 acres in a city for development. If u want a posh city & some posh cars & posh people then it is OK. Do u think Australia is that rich & has great roads & buildings like Dubai. No never, but to live in OZ is 10000 times better than Dubai or Singapore. Anyway I just told my opinion. See if it has to come it will.

Thomas,

I remember seeing early Technopark ads, where it was positioned as "the greenest" park.

May be that is the USP with Kerala. Horizontal, not vertical. In case of latter, Mumbai is a better destination than Kerala, not to mention the existing IT destinations of India. Also, these are townships, not exactly office complexes, so land requirement tends to be on the higher side.

Land is indeed expensive in Kerala. But I don't think Kerala is in a situation where we need to go vertical like Hong Kong or Singapore. And if the land price remains high, then you probably are shutting doors on big industry of any kind. Fit for high-rise apartments and nothing else. Anyway, that is probably what Kerala, the *consumer* state, needs.

Efby said: invariably said that they are okay with this alliance provided I can commit that I'll never even think of settling down in Kerala.
    +++

LOL Efby. May be thats a wise thing to do, given the way things are going. Last week was particularly busy for the folks back home. Students' strike, bus strike. Poor BJP, they did not get a slot to have their part of the Hartal.

You are damn right, but I still hope to retire early (Bangalore real estate market willing) and go back to Kerala for the second innings. I don't know, things are getting worse there.

The other day I was watching "Kannadi" and saw the plight of a Gulf-returned guy who is into vegetable farming. His neighbours want him to close his borewell, because apparently, the borewell is causing a draught for others. They tease him calling him "Plachimada". I mean, I was thinking of doing something similar to what this guy is doing, but I know my fate already.

>>Thomas: You do not need 400 acres in a city for development. If u want a posh city & some posh cars & posh people then it is OK. Do u think Australia is that rich & has great roads & buildings like Dubai.
    ---

You are assuming that the land in cochin is in great demand among the industrialists, which is not the case. If there are many builders vying for the land in Cochin, then the ball is in our court and we can dictate the terms. When this is not the case, and there's hardly anyone interested in starting an industry in Kerala, who is there to construct a 'Smart City' according to our terms and conditions? It is OUR need to have some industries in Kerala. That's the reason why I say that providing 400 acres is ok as long as it serves to catapult Cochin to the global IT map... Giving out land could be treated as the means towards a good end - Jobs getting 'Cochined'.

At the same time, the govt should make sure that it doesn't yield to the unreasonable demands of the DIC that can hamper the long term interests of the state.

Those who want to get convinced, send me an email.
    I have convinced Joseph Joseph the other day!!

Randu Paiseyyy..

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.